Extra Credit Animation For Interactivity and Games Le Morte D'Arthur

For this assignment, I played the game "Le Morte D'Arthur" by Chris Crawford and listened to his legendary dragon speech. First, I played the game which took me most of the day to finish! Overall, I enjoyed the story. It reminded me of Twine games where it is text based and the players get to pick choices online rather than on a console. I liked that the experience had artwork on every page, however, you can tell that lots of them are AI generated. Some of the features, especially on the people, were a bit distorted. I do understand that this is a very long story and the amount of artwork if it was hand-drawn would have taken a while. I did see some hand-drawn images on some pages which was nice to see but I wish there was more of them throughout the game. I really liked that the choices were stylized as if you were responding as Arthur and that you could respond in different tones. The length of the game really surprised me. The passages were long and descriptive. It reminded me of D&D a little bit, the way that it was described and you were able to pick choices based off of the story. Sometimes it was a little confusing and random characters were thrown in that I didn't know who they were, but overall I liked the interactions you had. The biggest thing I wish was in this story was a save button. I had to take multiple breaks to finish the story in one go because if you clicked off of the page it would not save your progress and restart all over again. My energy really started to decrease after a while and I began to get tired of reading the long passages. After a power nap I was fine, but I wish that there was a way to save your progress so that way I could have returned to it later and not have missed important details. After listening to the dragon speech, I can see why Crawford created this game. It is very unconventional to not have a save button in such a long and detailed game. Most people would probably get an hour in and quit, which I think also speaks a lot to being a ruler. Everyone fantasizes about being royalty, but would probably quit within a short amount of time if they truly knew what really entailed in the job description. The story itself is radical and I don't think I've ever experienced such a detailed game in one sitting. I think that Crawford has truly faced the dragon with this experience and taken it on in a unique way. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Innocence Castle

Animation for Interactivity and Games Week 10

Animation for Interactivity and Games Week 4